Monday, July 15, 2013

Healthy(ier) Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I have a simple rule:  If I am going to eat something unhealthy, then I have to make it myself.  

If I want cookies or muffins or cake, I need to make it.  That rule really helps cut down how often I eat these things.  And even when I do make them, I'm always looking for a healthier option. 

I don't know if you can ever call a cookie healthy, but here is my attempt at a Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie:

2.5 cups blanched almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill's Almond Flour)
2 Tbsp flax meal (I use Bob's Red Mill's Flax Meal)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
8 Tbsp melted coconut oil (I use Nutiva's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix the first four ingredients (flour, flax, baking soda, salt) in a small bowl.  Mix the wet ingredients (vanilla, melted coconut oil, honey) in a large bowl.  Slowly mix the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. 

*Tip: Cover your cookie sheet with parchment paper.  It makes moving the cookies and clean up so much easier.

Form small balls of dough with your hands, flatten them slightly, and place them on the cookie sheet. 

Bake 10-12 minutes.  Let cookies cool for 3-4 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them. 

Makes 36 small cookies.

Did you make these cookies?  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...