Sunday, July 21, 2013

Soda May Cause Heart Problems

More bad news for soda lovers: excessive soda drinking may cause irregular heart function.  

This follows news that soda can corrode your teeth as much as meth.

Granted, both cases involve excessive soda drinking, but it seems like many people do drink soda excessively.  I know I used to.
Your heart on soda

In this case, a woman drank nothing but soda for 16 years and suffered from irregular heartbeats and fainting spells.  This spawned research into other excessive soda drinkers and all were found to have similar heart problems.

If you want to read a little more on this case, you can check out Women's Health's coverage.

How did I kick the soda habit?  I went cold-turkey in a bet with a friend my sophomore year in high school:  Who could go the longest without drinking soda?

I went from drinking multiple cans a day to nothing.  I had headaches and withdrawal like symptoms for two weeks.  And then I never craved it again.  I've had soda in a mixed drink here or there but have not had a can or a bottle in over ten years.

I'm not sure what was going on in biology class that day since we were busy chatting away in the back of the room, but maybe it was a good thing to make a bet that day rather than pay attention.  Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...