Saturday, July 13, 2013

How Fast Can A Powered Wheelchair Go?

Last night my husband and I were having a debate: how fast can a powered wheelchair go?

The conversation spawned from the fact that we are both supposed to run a half marathon tomorrow, but my back has been having some problems for a while and it really flared up this week, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to run-- which is very disappointing.  

That got me imagining taking off from the starting line in a Hoveround, throwing elbows at runners, and knocking them over as I drove my way to victory.  And that's when the true question arose: Am I faster than a Hoveround?  

A quick google search produced these results:


Disclosure: Since this isn't information that will greatly effect human history, I decided not to look much further than what popped up on the first page, and I didn't even click on the links.  

So trusting that the first two websites provide accurate information, the average Hoveround is 3-5 mph and the fastest "Max Speed" scooters can go 6 mph.

Top speed of a Hoveround: 6 mph, 1/2 Marathon finish time: 2 hours 11 minutes 0 seconds
My last 1/2 marathon: 6.54 mph, finish time: 2 hours 0 minutes 13 seconds

Answer: I'm faster than a Hoveround! (At least when I have a good back.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...